Sunday 16 February 2014

Clare Birth Story

On Sunday July 29th 2012 at 7.45am I woke up to go to the loo, I took a while trying to get out of bed cos I was so huge and all of a sudden thought I had pissed myself! In fact my waters had broken, there was a HUGE gush and I hobbled to the bathroom with my dressing gown shoved between my legs as quick as I could shouting Mike at the same time and told him to go downstairs and tell my mum. Mum had been saying with us for a few weeks and I was 6 days overdue. The water just didn't stop gushing and I was shaking with excitement and nerves. My contractions had started and i was trying o remember what to do. We rang the midwife and she asked us to go up to the birthing centre to be examined. When we got there she did all the normal checks and I was 2cms dilated. We were told to go home for a few hours and rest. We got back home and my contractions were still coming. We watched tv and I had a bath, then we put a film on while I sat on the yoga ball and bounced through the pain. Mum was timing my contractions and by the time 5pm came I was in a lot of pain and the contractions were coming every few minutes. The midwife rang and asked how we were getting on and tol us to go in. Mum came too and we took our packed cases one for me and one for baby. I was examined again at the birthing centre and was told I was about 3 cms dilated. I couldn't believe it, I thought I would have been at least 6 or 7 cms by then! They said that because of the strength of my contractions they wanted me to stay there and use the gas and air and they could keep an eye on me. I wanted to try and not have any pain relief at all so for an hour or so I managed without it. Then I gave in and tried the gas and air. It made me feel pissed and feel woozy but it took the edge off and I went through quite a bit of it! 

After a couple of hours I was in agony and still only 3cms so I had some pethadine. This helped a bit although it made everything very hazy from here on! 
I sent mike to I and get him and mum some food and while he was away I felt like I needed to push, I was examined but  it was nothing, still only 3cms. 

At 11.30pm I went to the loo and all of a sudden I passed a massive blood clot. I really panicked and the midwife although she tried not to show it seemed very concerned. I knew this wasn't supposed to happen and was really scared. She decided that I needed to be transferred to Shrewsbury Hospital and rang an ambulance. Now I was bricking it. 

Mum and Mike followed in the car and all the way there I was still losing clots and they didn't know why. My blood pressure was very low and they were concerned. When we got to the hospital they took me into a dark room and I was examined again, I was still only 3cms. They said they didn't know why I was losing these clots and put me on a drip to speed up the labour as I was getting tired. I saw about 4 different midwives the whole time I was there as it was shift change and all sorts going on there. Even though I had been having pethadine injections at the birth centre, the midwife didn't want me to have it because she said I was not in active labour. I told her I really needed it and got my way! 

We carried on being monitored all night and poor mike and my mum were so tired bless them. At about 9am I was in so much pain, I had a huge urge to push and told the midwife. She told me not to push as I wasn't ready. I told her that it was hurting more trying not to push! She examined me again and said I was 9cms!! It was time to push!! 40 mins earlier I was still only 3-4cms! Baby had had enough! 

The pushing went on for ages and ages, I was so tired and just wanted the baby out. I could feel the burning sensation as I tried to push the head out but everything I tried, I had to take another breath and the head went back in. I ended up having to be cut twice to help me. 

Dakota Summer Primrose Jones was born at 11.51am weighing 9lbs 3oz and her head was 2 cms bigger than the average baby! She didn't really cry, just moaned a bit. I remember her lovely big eyes looking up at me and the emotion just exploded, a mixture of love, relief, pain...everything! 

Mike held her and then mum and they started letting family and friends know as the nurses dressed Dakota and the midwife gave me an injection to speed up the delivery of the placenta. This didn't work, they tugged and tugged but it was not moving, 3 or 4 people tried but nothing was happening. I had to have a spinal injection and off to theatre to have it removed. It felt so weird, I was completely numb from the waist down. 

When I was in the recovery room Nike appeared with Dakota in a cot and a huge grin on his face. Mum had gone for an appointment in a different part of the hospital. I fed her and although she didn't latch on at first she soon got the hang of it. We had family waiting for us on the ward and visiting time was almost over so they all had quick cuddles and left. I was still feeling very woozy and really knackered so that night is a bit of a blur. I know I waited for my legs to get feeling back again and then went for a shower. The quickest one ever because I didn't want to leave Dakota on the ward alone. We both slept and she woke at 3am for a feed then back to sleep until the morning.  I looked at her for hours counting her fingers and toes and couldn't wait to get her home to bath her and get her settled.

It was the best day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment